How I take notes

[viddler id=cfde7dd8&w=437&h=370]

This is great to do if you read a lot of books on a particular topic, and constantly like to reference the ideas from them.

Comments

I also have a notebook, but the problem is I only have notes from like 2-3 books, b/c I start out taking some notes – decide it takes too long to read the book that way and quit. Lame, I know.

I’ve always been against writing in books, but I might try Tim’s book jacket table of content idea and see if that works for me.

3. Hilary says

I’m starting to move all of my book notes over into a program called OneNote so that I can search through them for a variety of things and can even tag things that might be applicable to more than one topic.

Same sort of book notes all in one place concept though.

I think there might be some other programs out there that would accomplish the same thing.

Then again, if you get more out of handwritten note-taking, some things don’t always translate well to the computer (doodles, drawings can be scanned in though.) Just sharing because I like being able to actually search my notes and find things faster.

4. nickgbsn says

Have you tried organising them through Google Docs? I have a couple of folders there full of book notes. I find it’s better than keeping written notes since you can link to supporting pages, access it from anywhere, and copy quotes easily for blog posts/emails or whatever.

5. nickgbsn says

Yea, I use Google Docs for a lot of different things. They are great for the most part, but for some reason, I enjoy using this notebook a lot more when I want to jot down marketing ideas. It’s more of a visceral preference than a matter of it being superior to online note-taking. I just like having all these notes on actual paper, written by my own hand.

I used to try writing stuff down but it really interrupted the flow of my reading if I was on a roll.

Now I “take” all my notes using my iPhone’s camera and the Evernote iPhone app, which collects your web clips, written notes, pdfs, and photos, and allows you to search the text in all of them on the web, your Mac, or your PC. It’s the closest I’ve come to finding a software facsimile of a “brain dump,” and I’ve found reading to be a lot more enjoyable when it doesn’t have to involve a pen and a pad.