Book Launch Breakdown: Play It Away’s First Month of Sales
Remember my plan for how I wanted to market my self-published book? Well, I followed it.
Let me show you how things turned out during my book’s first month…
The book was released at the beginning of February. Here’s a breakdown of the sales:
868 paperbacks sold via Amazon (price: $11.69)
925 Kindles sold via Amazon (price: $4.99 – $9.99)
77 iBooks sold via iTunes (price: $9.99)
130 PDF bundles sold via Gumroad (price: $17)
13,000+ downloads via Appsumo (price: $0)
I’m guessing that the conversion rate for the book’s Amazon page is 5-8%.
Which means I probably drove about 25,000 – 40,000 visitors to the Amazon page.
Personally, I’m very happy with those numbers. That’s a solid launch for a self-published author.
BUT I was expecting 2,500+ sales. When you see the press pieces I had lined up, you’ll understand why.
- Charlie Hoehn’s Email Newsletter (Jan 20)
# of copies sold = 85
NOTES: I was mostly focused on getting Amazon reviews during this phase. Before the press started, there were about 20 reviews up from my beta readers.
# of copies sold = 34
- Tim Ferriss — Part 1: Preventing Burnout (Feb 13)
- Self-Publishing Podcast — Book Launching with Charlie Hoehn (Feb 14)
- Author MBA — How Best to Deal with Career Anxiety (Feb 14)
# of copies sold = 435
NOTES: I gave Tim the exclusive for breaking the book during launch week. That was followed by two small self-publishing podcasts, the first of which was with my buddy Sean Platt (who I met through Tucker Max). Sean is one of the most prolific authors in the world.
- Ramit Sethi — How to Systematically Heal Your Anxiety (Feb 16)
- The Overwhelmed Brain — Anxiety! How I Cured It (Feb 16)
- Noah Kagan — How to Hit #1 on Amazon’s Bestseller List (Feb 17)
- The School of Greatness Podcast — Why Play is the New Hustle in Business (Feb 17)
- The Foundation Podcast — Learning to Play and Boosting Productivity (Feb 17)
- Charlie Hoehn — Special Offers for Play It Away Buyers (Feb 17)
- Chad Mureta’s Email Newsletter (Feb 17)
- Carter Thomas — How to Defeat Anxiety: The Unofficial Playbook (Feb 17)
- Bryan Kreuzberger — Google Hangout (Feb 18)
- Tim Ferriss — Part 2: How to Cure Anxiety (Feb 19)
- Unmistakable Creative — The Dark Side of Ambition (Feb 19)
- The Art of Charm Podcast — Play It Away (Feb 19)
- Ryan Holiday’s Recommended Reading Email Newsletter (Feb 20)
- 1,000 Awesome Things — Unforgettable Friends (Feb 20)
- AppSumo — A Friday freebie if you work too much (Feb 21)
- Tucker Max — Play It Away… with bonus extra violence! (Feb 21)
# of copies sold = 1,150
Notes: The AppSumo promotion resulted in over 13,000+ downloads of the book. If I’d known it was going to move that many copies, I would have done a better job optimizing it to convert to sales AND I would have pushed that promotion much harder (e.g. getting influencers to tweet about it). My post on Noah’s blog is sloppy and unstructured because I was pretty sick when I was writing it. The title is also ironic, considering I did NOT hit #1 overall (though I did hit #1 in Stress Management).
- Affiliate Playbook Podcast — Charlie Hoehn (Feb 27)
- Fast Company — Feeling Burned Out? The One Change That Could Fix Everything (Feb 28)
# of copies sold = 296
- Amazon Kindle sales
- Big promos where I give the book away for free
- Exclusive offers for email lists with 10K+ subscribers (especially lists that have customers who buy health products)
- Free 1-hour webinars about overcoming anxiety, with a CTA to buy 30 or 300 copies of the book
If you liked the book and want to help me out, you can do one of these things:
- Tell me how to get the book into the hands of as many soldiers and veterans as possible. I want this book to help those who need it most.
- Leave an honest review on Amazon or on iBooks. Don’t skip this just because there are 60 reviews there already! The more reviews the book has, the better it will do over the long run. I want to reach 100 reviews before mid-March.
- Buy the paperback, take a picture of you with the book, then post it on Amazon. Get creative — take a picture of you and your friends playing with the book in the foreground. I’d love to see the book in the context of play.
If you want to meet me at SXSW…
– Send an email to email@example.com
Sign up and get Charlie’s latest books — free.
Fill in your email below to instantly get my best work. You’ll learn how I landed my dream job with Tim Ferriss, and how I overcame burnout and anxiety in one month.